Friday, September 11, 2009

Eight Years Later

Who could ever forget where they were 8 years ago this morning? I was 6 months pregnant with my first child, struggling to get to work on time and not succeeding. Scott was on his way to work and called me frantic. I'll never forget his words and the nervousness in his voice, "Beth, turn on the tv! It sounds like a plane has flown into the World Trade Center!" I quickly turned on the news and saw the above image. "Yes, they're showing it right now!" My brain thought it was a replay but I quickly realized it was the second plane. Nervousness soon became fear....

I struggled for many days, perhaps weeks with the question, "Why are we bringing a precious child into this awful world!" I was drawn to Todd Beamer's story, the originator of the catch phrase, "Let's Roll!" His wife, Lisa, was pregnant with their 3rd child, a girl. We were due within weeks of one another. I couldn't imagine the pain she was feeling. Each joy I experienced throughout my pregnancy, I imagined her sadness of experiencing it alone! On the day we were bringing our Morgan home two days after her birth, I learned that Lisa Beamer had given birth to their daughter, Morgan.

Throughout the past eight years, I have often wondered about the Beamer family and how their Morgan was making her way in this world. Eight years later, I know the answer to my question that I struggled with so many weeks after September 11, 2001. The precious children we bring into this awful world bring their special light with them and offer us hope and make this world a lot less awful! Thank you Morgan and Merritt for the hope you have brought into our lives!

1 comment:

  1. Their light lives in my heart and gives me hope in some of my darkest days.

    ReplyDelete